Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a usability analysis.

I've lived many different places in the past 5 years.  From the Penn State dorms, to K4, to a condo in Chapel Hill, to a almost new townhome in Raleigh, to a new apartment building at Penn State, to my current apartment in Conshohocken.  With these six or so different residences, I've experienced many different microwaves.  Yes, microwaves.

Somehow, with my awesome microwave abilities, I got the microwaves in the dorms to say CHILD and not work.  Our K4 microwave just had a little knob that you turned to set the time, I could handle that.  Very easy to understand user interface.

My first experience with a newer style microwave was in my townhome in Raleigh.  This microwave had the "popcorn" button and beeped every minute if you didn't open it after your food was done.  That was so annoying.  Don't they know that Lean Cuisine has to sit a few minutes before you eat it?

These new microwaves have buttons for about everything.  My parents just got a new microwave and I still don't know how to use it.  All I want in life is a microwave that defrosts, cooks, and maybe even times.  I don't want a popcorn button.  I don't need a potato button.  WTH does the Melt button do?  Being forced to look-up codes to use the Defrost button, thats terrible usability.  

My current apartment just got a brand new microwave, and while I like that its all shiny and clean, I hate 21 of the 35 buttons.  I only like the numbers 0-9, Start, Stop, Power and Cook Time.  Inside the microwave is a huge table of numbers that I don't even want to look at.  I'd rather just guess how long to defrost a dinner plate, or cook a pizza, or soften...whatever you'd soften in the microwave.  

I just tried to use the microwave, and left it the kitchen while I let it do its thing.  It beeped at me, multiple times while I was trying to defrost chicken.  Halfway for turning, and at one minute, to warn me? Then it beeped when it was done.  Then a minute after that, and a minute after that...

Those microwave designers must think we all wanna be spaceship pilots with all those buttons.  I think they should be fired for their terrible user interface and usability.

No comments: